Real Food Festivals Pty Ltd was established by Lena Smeaton and Julie Shelton, who bring a great combination of skills and experience to the organisation of the Real Food Festival.
Lena has proven experience in taking events in this field from conception to successful completion, whilst Julie is well known on the Sunshine Coast for her extensive knowledge of the local food scene. They are supported by an enthusiastic and highly-skilled team.
- Proprietor, Forage – Local food sourcing and distribution, servicing hospitality industry and retail
- Founding leader, Slow Food Sunshine Coast Hinterland. Not-for-profit group, part of international Slow Food organisation. Mission to provide support to small-scale producers of food that is good, clean and fair
- Passionate about driving real food production and knowledge in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland – ran a diversified, integrated organic farm for 10 years
- Extensive knowledge and personal relationships with food producers, chefs, retailers and other stakeholders in the local food and beverage industry
Examples of Relevent Recent Projects
- Conducted Food Security Assessment for Sunshine Coast Regional Council as part of Council’s Energy Transition Plan development (Oct 08)
- Project Officer, Mary Valley CAN DO Project – managed re-skilling training and employment program for the Mary Valley Region.
- 2008 Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellow – Nourishing Local Food: shortening the distance from paddock to plate, an investigation of regulatory impediments to small-scale and artisanal food production, and initiatives that nourish relationships between producers and consumers; research undertaken in USA, Ireland, UK, France and Italy
- Delegate representing Australia at Terra Madre 2008 in Turin, Italy (Slow Food Bi-annual conference)
Key Contacts in Undertaking Projects
- Experienced in dealing with all levels of government from Body Corporate to local, state and federal government, for example: Sunshine Coast Regional Council, DEEDI, Safe Food Production Queensland
- Wide network on the Sunshine Coast, including media, suppliers, producers, across food & beverage, hospitality and tourism industries
- Associations with national and international organisations and individuals working in sustainability and food politics; affiliated with Australian Food Sovereignty Alliance, Food Connect, Transition Towns
To find out more about Julie’s journey to good food, click here.
- Director, Smeaton Hackett Events – event management company ‘committed to promoting the organic industry’
- 25 years experience in sales, marketing, project and event management
- Passionate about creating experiential events to highlight and bring real food & a clean, green, sustainable world to everyone
- Indepth knowledge and extensive range of contacts and relationships within the organic industry
Examples of Relevent Recent Events
- Created & organises the “Organic Expo & Green Show International” – Oceania Pacific’s premier organic & green trade, industry & consumer show, now in its 7th year. 200+ exhibitors, 8000 attendees. Running annually in NSW & VIC. www.organicexpo.com.au
- Pitched and then co-organised “Live Green” with the City of Sydney, their only major annual outdoor sustainable festival. 20,000 attendees. Successfully ran for 2 years.
- Created & organises the first and only wine show, specifically for organic & biodynamic wines, in the Southern Hemisphere “Australia / New Zealand Organic Wine Show”
Key Partners & Supporters of Events
- In undertaking these events has gained the support, funding and participation of many Government Bodies & Ministers, Industry Organisations, Corporates & Other Businesses, Celebrities, Experts, Media etc from NSW, VIC, across Australia and Internationally. For example:
- Government – Industry & Investment NSW, Austrade, Department of Primary Industries Victoria, Rural Industries Research & Development Corporation, City of Sydney, The Pacific Islands Trade & Investment Commission
- Industry – Biological Farmers of Australia, Organic Federation of Australia, Australian Certified Organic, Organic Food Chain, National Association for Sustainable Agriculture Australia, International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements, BioGro (New Zealand)